Monday, April 25, 2011

Kitchen Sink Noodles

Every once in a while I feel like a big bowl of veggie fried noodles... since I can't always go to Gingergrass for my favorite wok-tossed noodles, I improvise and make this healthy cheaper alternative. Before I give you the recipe, first I should preface that I do not own a wok. I used to have one that ended up marrying the dumpster... long story but you shouldn't assume that anything is non-stick and then proceed to fry up a storm in it. It ends poorly. So, in lieu of a wok I use a heavy cast iron deep skillet (designed by Mario Batali so that makes it legit, right?) It does the trick. I should also preface that I cut corners and save myself a ton of painful onion dicing by sucking up and buying the pre-diced onions. I have an abnormal sensitivity to onions. Every time I spend a little bit more on the packaged diced tear-jerkers, I end up thanking myself in the end. That is one of my not-so-secret-anymore cooking secrets. You're welcome.

I use ingredients that I like, you can throw in anything... the kitchen sink, if you will. I did all this shopping at Fresh & Easy. Here is what you will need for this tossed deliciousness:

1/2 lb. Spaghetti (I used Capellini because I had it on hand and although it worked, it was not hearty enough. Next time I would go with a heavier noodle)
2 lean chicken breasts diced
1 diced onion
1 handful broccoli coarsely chopped
1 handful diced snow peas
6 green onions diced
2-3 garlic cloves minced
2 handfuls bean sprouts
1 15 oz. can baby corn diced
1 8oz. can bamboo shoots
1 8 oz. can water chestnuts
2 beaten eggs
1/4 cup soy sauce (I use Tamari)
Sriracha brand chili garlic sauce (about 1-2 teaspoons)
Grated ginger (Or ground ginger will do the trick, too)

Dice the chicken and saute it until it's cooked through. Boil some water and cook the pasta until it's al dente.

In the wok/skillet/whatever you're using saute the onion and garlic in a few tablespoons of olive oil until they're combined. Add the broccoli, snow peas, sprouts and green onions and saute stirring constantly until they're a bit reduced in size. Mix in some freshly grated ginger, or I sometimes use a dash of ground ginger, and the chicken, baby corn, bamboo and water chestnuts. Once they're a bit softened, add the beaten eggs... Stir stir stir! It should eventually start looking like this:


Toss in some pasta until everything is combined. Wisk the soy and chili garlic sauces together and toss in with the veggie/pasta amazingness. Season to your taste.

I serve the noodles in our Lenox china serving bowls. 1) It's fun to use wedding china on a random Monday night and 2) Our little salad bowls are simply too small. Plus it makes it look so fancy!! I also keep the extra chopsticks from Chinese/Pho takeout and they come in handy on nights like this...

Because this makes a boat-load of food, I put the remaining in a freezer bag and will heat it up for dinner one night next week when the last thing I feel like doing is cooking. Perfect!

5 comments:

  1. I made this last night!! I used shrimp instead of chicken - and it was oh so delicious. Thanks Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! So glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these types of dishes for end of week meals. You can always improvise and throw in whatever you have. I will so be making these.

    ReplyDelete