Thursday, May 5, 2011

A bag 'o marinade for your bag 'o tricks

I made an amazing discovery. I'm sure these have existed for a while but somehow I didn't see one until now. Marinade in a sealable bag... an EZ Marinader if you will. This was a total impulse buy as it was on special for something like $2.00... This marinade is made by Jack Daniel's, don't be fooled though, the package is clearly labeled with a "Does not contain alcohol" warning. 

I picked up some flap meat at the store. Flank steak would have been another great option. Or even chicken or pork- yum! Last night I popped the meat in the bag o' marinade and put in the in fridge. And just like that, step one was done!



Tonight as I was cooking for uno, I decided that as a side, I'd cook out of the pantry. I had about one cup of rice left in a ziploc bag and a few green onions in the fridge that were about a day away from needing to go in the trash. This is probably the easiest thing ever... after I started the rice, I trimmed up and diced the green onions and sauteed them lightly in some olive oil. 


By the way, my trick for making rice is adding some chicken bouillon and a pinch of salt to the water while it's coming to a boil. It adds a yummy flavor. So, when the rice is done, mix in the green onions and add some fresh cracked pepper and a pinch more salt to taste. Another trick I learned from my grandma is to put a clean kitchen towel over the pot and underneath the cover. It helps the rice keep a nice texture.

As for the meat, since Chris my barbecuing guru was not around, I grilled it up on a cast iron grill pan which worked just fine. Although, I did miss that just-off-the-que flavor. Tear :(



And after slicing it up...


Here's the finished product...


The marinade was surprisingly good and marinating overnight made the meat tender and flavorful throughout. This handy baggy is totally worth a try. I'm going to continue to be on the lookout for these delicious gems every time I go to the store. In honor of Cinco de Mayo... que delicioso!

No comments:

Post a Comment