Tuesday, May 31, 2011

What to do with leftover lamb?

As the follow-up to my last recipe post about my leg 'o lamb... here is how I ended up using the remaining scraps...

One night I made a pizza. A Greek pizza. Roll out some fresh pizza dough from Trader Joe's. Sometimes I cook pizzas on a regular cookie sheet which I think works just fine. Lightly oil the pan with some olive oil on your fingertips and press the dough into a rectangular shape. Spread some oil on top of the dough and layer on shredded mozzarella, crumbled feta, diced lamb, sauteed onions, roasted garlic and dried oregano. Bake according to the directions on the pizza dough... usually about 10 minutes at 400 degrees but eyeball it until it's done to your desired crispiness.


Feeling like I was close to being "lamb-ed out" the following night I used all of the remaining meat and made lamb stew. Here is my brother, my sous chef, who helped and requested a shout out...


Anyways, here's what you do. Dice up the lamb, as much as you have left, and put in the crock pot along with a sliced onion, a can of garbanzo beans, a can of Italian style diced tomatoes and a carton of beef stock. Sprinkle in some salt, pepper, a pinch of oregano and a tiny pinch of red pepper flakes (I always season more once the dish is done cooking, too, based on what I think it needs.) Because I had limited veggies on hand, I didn't add some "stew staples", but would recommend adding some diced celery, carrots, potatoes or anything else you have laying around. Despite the lack of veggie presence, the stew ended up fantastic so no need to stress. Cook on low for 10 hours and serve with some piping hot Pillsbury Grands biscuits!



Next, take a break from lamb for a while :)

No comments:

Post a Comment