Monday, May 16, 2011

Spicy Sausage Pasta Toss

Sometimes on a chilly evening a hearty warm pasta meal hits the spot. This dish is quick and easy to throw together and is perfect to have up your sleeve when you feel like having a cozy laid back dinner... it is slightly pathetic that Los Angeles is having this crisp weather and it's mid-May but might as well embrace it, right?

Here is what you'll need:
- Sausage of your choice. Tonight I am using Jalepeno and Monterey Jack Bratwaurst. An Italian sausage was my second choice and would also be delish!
-1 diced green bell pepper
-About 6 diced green onions
-1 bag of spinach coarsely chopped. You can never have too much spinach in my opinion.
-1 lb. spaghetti
- Some minced garlic to taste
- Tomato sauce (recipe below)


My husband made the sauce ahead of time, he's really good at it, it's kind of one of his culinary fortes. You take large can of Italian style whole or diced tomatoes, add a pinch of red pepper flakes, a dash of Greek seasoning and a splash of olive oil. Blend it up with an immersion hand blender (or in a real blender, up to you.) And that's it.


Dice up the sausage and get cooking in a heavy sauce pan with the garlic. After a few minutes add the bell pepper.


Once they're softened, add the green onions and spinach.


After everything is combined, add the tomato sauce and simmer for about 10 minutes on low.


I add the cooked spaghetti directly to the pot and give it a toss.


Top with some freshly grated parmesan and voila, dinner!


Since I used a very spicy sausage, I paired this dish with a cold beer. It was necessary, and plus, it's Monday.

For what it's worth, I also had an adorable audience the entire time I was cooking.

3 comments:

  1. It is freeezing in SF also. That looks perfect for dinner! I'm going to be annoying though: what is Greek seasoning? Can I buy it at the store? (Sorry if that question is so amateur.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alexa! You are not amateur, I should have clarified... Greek seasoning is something we get at my Greek market, Papa Cristo's, down here in L.A. but I'm sure you can find something comparable at any grocery store. The key is that it the main ingredients are ground oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper. you can probably even make your own if you feel ambitious! You just need a pinch for the sauce, but you can totally use it as a rub on chicken or in salad dressings, anything! It's one of my secret ingredients and I go through it like crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I was gonna ask the same. Adding greek seasoning to my next grocery list :)

    ReplyDelete