Monday, May 2, 2011

Quiche-y Keen!

I have heard that the way into a man's heart is through his stomach. (Since I inherited the Sicilian cooking gene, this has never been much of a problem.) I would actually like to re-write that phrase to say: The way into a man's heart, at least my husband's, is through this quiche. I am not exaggerating.


The recipe is Paula Deen's Spinach and Bacon Quiche so you can rest easy knowing that it's fat free and zero calories :) The great thing about this recipe is that it has a good base. You can easily make a vegetarian version by leaving out the bacon and adding some lightly sauteed veggies like mushrooms, bell peppers and onions. Or instead of bacon, use some left over ham, steak or even chicken. Don't have mozzarella? Use whatever you have in the fridge. There are so many ways you can make it so get creative. If you click on the link above, there are lots of reviews and variations on the recipe's website. It's savory and fluffy, and works just as well for dinner as it would for breakfast or champagne brunch.


Here is the recipe, my personal notes are in BOLD.


Ingredients

  • 6 large eggs, beaten
  • 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
  • Salt and pepper
  • 2 cups chopped fresh baby spinach, packed
  • 1 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled  I slice it up before popping it in the frying pan.
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese  I use Mozzarella, it's easier to find and my personal preference
  • 1 (9-inch) refrigerated pie crust, fitted to a 9-inch glass pie plate
  •  I also add a dash of freshly grated nutmeg, just for fun.

Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Combine the eggs, cream, salt, and pepper and nutmeg in a food processor or blender (I use a hand immersion blender. Way easier and less clean up!) Here's the secret ingredient:
Get some whole nutmeg and give it a couple scrapes on your microplane grater into the egg/cream mixture before whipping.
Layer the spinach,
 bacon, 
and cheese 

in the bottom of the pie crust, then pour the egg mixture on top. 

Bake for 35 to 45 minutes until the egg mixture is set. I like the top to have a little crunch to it so it should look like this:


Even Mikey likes it.

Happy Quiche-ing!

No comments:

Post a Comment